What to consider before adopting a cat
It’s very important to assess the suitability of your living situation and the home itself prior to adopting a cat or kitten.
AWL staff can help you with any of the more difficult questions as we generally find there is a solution to every problem!
- All AWL animals are vet checked, microchipped, vaccinated, desexed, flea and worm treated and ready to go but if you choose to get a cat from somewhere else, please be aware the costs for these services are in excess of $400.
- How much time are you able to devote to your new feline friend daily? This will determine if you get a cat or kitten with long or short hair and the most suitable nature of the cat to suit you.
- If you are renting you will need to clarify that you are allowed to keep a cat under the terms of your Lease
- Are any plants (indoor and outdoor) unsafe for cats? Lilies are highly toxic.
- Will the cat remain indoors or is there a secure (cat-proofed) outdoor area?
- Do you have other animals and if so, how accommodating are they to new companions in the house?
- Do you have somewhere safe for the cat to sleep?
- Where will the litter tray be kept?
- What arrangements will you make if you need to go away on a holiday?