How to: Make your own Extreme Enrichment Box
Due to Coronavirus, you've probably been spending more at home with your lovable pooch. More than likely, you've also noticed how boring being at home all day can be.
Enriching the lives of our pets is a vital part of ownership and is also super fun for both you and your pet. Taking our pets for a walk is mistakenly thought of as the only way to keep them busy, but a brain work-out can be even more fun.
Shop bought enrichment toys can often be expensive, but luckily there are lots of affordable and cost-free ways to make your own DIY enrichments for your pets at home.
This Extreme Enrichment Box is a doggy fur-avourite, so have a go making it yourself.
1 x empty medium or large box (dependant on your dog’s size)
1 x tbsp. peanut spread
4 x small straps of your dog’s favourite jerky-type treat
2-3 x of your dog’s favourite chew toys (not balls)
1 x portion of your dog’s favourite meat (cut into small pieces)
1 x box-cutter knife
- Remove all tape, staples and other materials from the box that could be harmful to your dog
- Seal the box at one end by interweaving the flaps of the box.
- Safely use the box cutter knife to cut two holes into the box the same diameter as your dog’s favourite toys. Place these holes on the side of the box as far apart from each other as possible.
- Push one end of your dog’s toy into one hole (this should be a tight fit), so that one end is within the box and the other is hanging outside of the box. Repeat this with the second toy.
- Cut smaller slices into the box at various intervals and place the jerky straps into these holes (once again the holes should be the same diameter as the jerky so that it’s a tight fit).
- Rub half of the peanut spread in different places on the outside of the box.
- Rub the remainder of the peanut spread in different places on the inside of the box.
- Seal the top of the box using the same method as the bottom flaps, except, place the last chew toy between the interweaved flaps, effectively sealing it in place.
- Place the box in an area that you don’t mind getting messy and watch your dog enjoy the puzzle.
Prefer pictures? Here's a step-by-step guide.