Fireworks and Pet's - Hints and Tips
Most dogs find fireworks EXTREMELY terrifying and can become very distressed which is upsetting for both them and their owner. Please ensure that you:
- Keep all pets inside in an area away from large windows or glassed areas
- Keep them in an area such as your laundry (that you have dog proofed) with their bedding, toys to comfort and play the radio to distract them from the fireworks
- Check your yard is escape proof and your gates are locked
- Check your pet has access to a safe area and ask neighbours to check on them
- Ask your vet for anti-anxiety medication if your pet becomes extremely distressed during fireworks and loud noises.
Please also take a moment today to check that your pet has up to date identification on their collar and that their micro-chip has your current details in case they do escape.
New Year’s Day is our busiest day of the year so if you pet does go missing, please:
- Contact the AWL on 8348 1300 and other local Shelters.
- Submit a lost pet report at awlsa.com.au
- Contact local vets
- Contact your local council
- Take a walk around your neighbourhood and check with neighbours for any sightings
- Visit the AWL as you will be the best person to identify your pet
- Drop flyers with your pets picture around your neighbourhood to alert neighbours about your missing pet