As one of the largest animal shelters in South Australia, Animal Welfare League (AWL) takes in over 80 animals each week to rehabilitate and rehome them with loving families.
Thanks to the generous support of South Australian animal lovers, we can continue our mission to connect pets, people and community – not just through matching pets with their forever families, but also by helping owners farewell their beloved pets through our Pet Cremation service, caring for pets in our Boarding facilities and helping South Australians shop sustainably through our Op Shops.
Thanks to the work of our amazing employees and volunteers and the ongoing support of the South Australian community, we will continue working towards our vision of a South Australia where every pet has a loving home.
ABOUT THE ROLE
AWL is looking for an experienced General Manager to lead and manage the Animal Operations Department through the provision of oversight to the areas of animal welfare, shelter services, customer service, foster and pound veterinary services, and animal behavioural management.
The incumbent will be responsible for supporting veterinary services clinical advice and provide vision and leadership to the Animal Operations teams ensuring technically excellent and industry-leading standards of animal care.
This role reports directly to the CEO and will oversee the day-to-day functioning of the Animal Operations Department through the development, implementation and refinement of systems, processes and procedures to ensure high quality, efficient, compliant and cost-effective business practices with a strong focus on animal welfare and service delivery.
This is a backfill arrangement due to maternity leave and appointment will be temporary, full time for up to 18 months. The role will be based at our Wingfield site however, travel will be required across other AWL locations.
- Working with the CEO and as part of the Senior Management Team to deliver the organisational strategic plan and objectives.
- Manage and mentor the shelter leaders, monitor performance against business objectives, implement professional development initiatives to ensure a high level of professional and competent leadership that promotes efficient, effective and outstanding animal care.
- Be accountable for long term animal operations planning, including developing, implementing, monitoring, and reviewing strategic and operational plans to support the AWL’s vision, purpose, and values.
- Be accountable for the financial management of Animal Operations Department in line with budget targets.
- Analyse data and metrics to measure performance against Animal Operations Department business objectives and operational effectiveness.
- Continuously monitor and modify the allocation of resources to achieve animal operations targets.
- Manage and support employees working within the department to ensure there is a highly engaged and productive culture.
- Effectively exhibit leadership behaviors that promote the AWL’s safety culture to improve both WHS and organisational performance.
- Foster the development of attitudes and beliefs of employees that support safe behaviour and integrate safety into all work.
- Drive collaborations, synergy and integration benefits across Animal Operations Department and the broader organisation
- Continuously improve standards or animal care and service delivery through innovation and application of leading practices.
- Proactively support fundraising activity through expert content and making animal operations expertise available.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen the sustainability of AWL further.
- Ensure compliance of the Animal Operations Department with all relevant legislation.
- Promote positive working relationships across the organisation and with key stakeholders.
- With support from the People, Culture and Safety business unit, manage all employee related activities such as recruitment, induction training, performance reviews, and performance management.
- Ensure adequate staffing levels through the development and application of a unique value proposition that attracts and retains critical professional talent.
- Implement and maintain best-practice business processes, to help create efficiency and transparency across the teams.
- Support team building and enhance interdepartmental communication across AWL.
AWL is looking for an individual who possesses extensive experience in managing multiple diverse teams with a strong animal welfare background that can thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Specifically, has the following:
- Tertiary qualification in Veterinary Medicine/Animal Behaviour and/or a business/management related discipline.
- Senior Management experience in a multi-faceted business operation.
- Knowledge of the Animal Welfare Act 1985 (SA) and Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 (SA).
- Extensive experience in the field of animal welfare or management of companion animals.
- Ability to build and lead high performing teams.
- Demonstrated leadership, employee management, and interpersonal skills including the ability to coach and develop others.
- A leadership style that engenders trust and motivates behaviours that will help deliver goals in relation to the future of animals, our supporters, and the community.
- Growth mindset with the ability to actively listen, process feedback, reflect, learn and help others learn.
- Ability to build and maintain quality working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, work collaboratively and support others.
- Knowledge of education/science communication environments, with a focus on companion animal welfare and related issues.
- Extensive proven experience and ability to work collaboratively with others in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Additional hours and/or weekends may be required to meet business needs.
- Travel will be required across AWL sites and locations.
- Current driver’s licence is required.
- Satisfactory National Police Clearance Certificate at commencement of employment and periodically at the request of the AWL.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU!
- Salary Sacrifice Benefits.
- Discounted pet boarding, adoptions and cremation services in accordance with AWL policy.
- 20% discount on retail products from the AWL Pet Shop.
- Work in a positive and supportive environment.
To access a detailed job description, please click the button below.
If you are passionate about connecting pets, people and community, we want to hear from you!
Applications for this position must be accompanied by a cover letter outlining your knowledge, skills and experience for the role and a resume including two current referees.
For a confidential discussion, please contact Luisa Dickson, General Manager, People, Culture and Safety on 0413 730 794. Applications are to be addressed to the General Manager, People, Culture and Safety and submitted via Seek.
Applications close: 5:00pm on Friday 1 December 2023.