Shelter Vet Nurse Permanent Part Time Wingfield SA
An exciting and rare opportunity is available for fully qualified and experienced Veterinary Nurses to join AWL’s team.
- 15 hours (Part Time) a week
- 8am-4pm including one in four weekends
- Working in a team of 5.4 FTE vet nurses and 3.4 FTE vets
This is an opportunity to be part of one of the most dynamic and supportive shelter veterinary teams in South Australia. We provide critical services to 7000 animals each year that arrive into our care by ensuring the health and welfare needs are met and are of the highest standards.
Just to give you an idea of our day:
- Surgery shifts typically involve routine desexings with an exciting sprinkle of workups and major surgeries (enucleation, wound repair, leg amputation, entropion) in a brand new clinic and surgical theatre suite.
- Medical shifts involve monitoring the health of the shelter population and working up complex cases. We do not offer veterinary services to the public, so interaction with clients is limited to foster care consultations only.
- Intake shifts involve a medical assessment for each arriving animal so that we have a clear idea of any disease risks (that could affect the population) and pre-existing conditions (that could impact adoptability).
Nothing beats the great feeling you get from helping out stray and abandoned animals that otherwise would have been on the streets.
Watch that frightened injured animal come in at intake and then embark on its journey to get treated and nurtured. You get on with your role as a shelter nurse, then one day you suddenly realise that very animal from weeks ago is now a healthy happy animal up for adoption. That journey is just amazing. That is what we do here.
About our Animal Care Centre
Our brand new $20m shelter at Wingfield has a purpose-built vet clinic with two operating theatres, three heated surgical tables, large prep/treatment area, wet table, five consult rooms, separate cat and dog wards, IM3 dental machine, V5 anaesthetic monitoring, in-house bloods, digital x-ray, low stress animal enclosures and fear free design features.
We are looking for qualified and experienced veterinary nurses with a wide and varied set of skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for someone who has:
- Cert IV in veterinary nursing or equivalent
- Experience in all aspects of medical and surgical veterinary nursing
- Outstanding animal handling skills
- Strong communication and problem solving abilities
- Shelter experience (preferred but not essential)
Please apply on SEEK at https://www.seek.com.au/job/55314092
Please address your application to the People, Culture & Safety Coordinator.
Applications for this position should be accompanied by a covering letter and current CV.
Applications close: COB Monday 27 December 2021