What do I do if I find an animal?

If you find a dog call your local Council immediately - please see contact details below

Some animals may require daily medication, or may bite out of fear. Some animals may even carry communicable diseases that could put your family and your pets at risk. It is an offence to keep another person's dog and most important that Council collect the dog from you as soon as possible, no-one is going to look for their dog at your house. The dog may be microchipped which can enable Council to reunite the dog with its owner.

Council contact details

City of Playford

8256 0333

City of Adelaide

8203 7203

City of West Torrens

8416 6333

City of Unley

8372 5111

City of Port Adelaide Enfield

8405 6600

City of Salisbury

8406 8222

Campbelltown City Council

8366 9222

City of Norwood, Payneham St Peters

8366 4555

City of Charles Sturt

8408 1111

City of Tea Tree Gully

08 8397 7444

City of Burnside

8366 4200

City of Prospect

8269 5355

For the full list of council contact details visit the LGA Website

View OUR LOSt PET profiles

Where the owner cannot be found, you may be able to lodge an expression of interest with the appropriate council officer/employee to adopt the dog once the dog becomes available for adoption at the AWL.

Please contact your local council if you find a stray or owned cat. The council will be able to give you instructions on what to do from this point. (Most councils have a 24 hour call back system)  After you have contacted your local council you can contact the AWL about options on what to do next.

It is important that you ask yourself these questions:

  1. Is this cat bothering me or my community?
  2. Is this cat in reasonable health, seems spritely, isn’t too thin?
  3. Do I actually need to remove this cat from this environment?
  4. Could I be supported to get this cat/s desexed and allow it to remain where it is?
  5. Am I absolutely positive that no one else is actually ‘looking after’ this cat?

If you believe this cat is lost and cannot find it's owner/s View OUR LOSt PET profiles as you may be able to contact the owner direct to reunite them with their cat.

AWL Paper Cat Collars

If you would like to assist the cat, please use the AWL Paper Cat Collars. These collars have been developed to create better outcomes for cats in our communites. Read more about the collars and download the template by clicking the buttons below. 

Paper Cat Collars Info Sheet  Download Paper Cat Collars

If you still feel that you need to remove this cat or cats and you are able to safely handle the cat you can make an appointment to bring them into our shelter at Edinburgh North. To transport the cat or cats, put it/them into a safe transport container/carrier or a strong box with holes in it.

What do I do if I cannot get near these cats?

If you still feel that you need to remove this cat or cats please contact your local council.

What are the differences between a stray, a semi-wild/unowned and a feral cat?

Stray Cats

Stray cats are usually cats which have at some stage been domestic pets but for some reason have had to fend for themselves, whether they have become lost or been abandoned. These cats can often be rehabilitated into being pets.

Unowned Cats

Semi-wild/Unowned cats are cats which have possibly once been pet cats or maybe offspring of pet cats which have not had socialization with humans. These cats will often congregate around rubbish dumps, industrial areas or where ever there is a food source. Often they are less inclined to hunt but are opportunistic when it comes to food. They will probably be a pest where there are caged birds or food left out for pet animals.

Feral Cats

Feral cats are cats which have never been domesticated and are truly wild animals. These cats will have nothing to do with humans and have no reliance on humans, living wild, killing wildlife and scavenging. A true feral cat does not rely on humans at all, obtaining its food and shelter from the natural environment.

Please call your local vet or the AWL on (08) 8348 1300 as soon as possible.

Rabbits have specific dietary requirements so unless you are aware of how to care for a rabbit they are much better in the care of a professional

Most rabbits are not tattooed so your local vet or the AWL will be able to check for a microchip.

For urgent information or advice contact Fauna Rescue's 24-hour hotlines:

  • Wildlife hotline (24 hours) 08 8289 0896
  • Koala Rescue hotline (24 hours) 08 7226 0017
  • Bats including Microbats & Flying Foxes Rescue hotline 24 hours 0474 204 617

Please DO NOT use email to contact Fauna Rescue for wildlife that is injured, requires rescuing or re-locating.
For less urgent queries only please contact info@faunarescue.org.au

Snake Away Services 0413 511 335

To report animal cruelty contact the RSPCA 1300 477 722