Follow these steps if you find a lost dog
- Check the tag - When you come across a friendly dog, check for a collar or tag. It's important as a first step to try to contact the owner before contacting your local council, AWL or RSPCA.
- Contact your council - If the dog does not want you to approach them, be careful. The dog may be sick, require daily medication, or may bite out of fear. Some animals may even carry infectious diseases that could put your family and your pets at risk.
- Leave the dog where it is and call your local council immediately - No-one is going to look for their dog at your house, so it's vital that council collects the dog from you as soon as possible.
Click here to find your council's details.
- Ask the neighbours, and post a message on social media including Lost Pets of South Australia Facebook page.
- Check the Lost Dogs noticeboard to see if the owner has reported it missing.