Step 1: consider what you're looking for in your future dog
Your lifestyle and home will guide the type, age and personality of the pooch you adopt.
Things to think about:
- How much time will you have to spend with your dog?
- Are you an active, outdoorsy person, or are you more of a homebody?
- Does anyone in your home have allergies or other needs to consider?
- Do you have small or young children who'll need a gentle, easy-going dog?
- Do you already have pets, and do they like other dogs?
- Do you have time to dedicate to training a new dog in weekly classes?
- How much space do you have in your home and yard?
Step 2: look on our adoption site
Now that you've figured out the type and age of dog that will suit your home – read about their personalities and see their pictures.
Step 3: visit the pet you've picked
You'll need to bond with your new dog, so head down and visit them. Bring anyone else in your home who'll guide your decision – everyone's got to love their new fur-baby as much as you do.
If you've got a resident dog, bring them down to meet the new family member, too.
If your chosen dog is the pawfect match and you're ready to take them home, let our team know. You can adopt your newest family member that very same day. How exciting!
Otherwise, if you need some time to think about it, prepare your home or bring other family members down, you can place the pet on a 24-hour hold.
Step 4: adopt them and take them home
It's time for you and your dog to start a new chapter together.
By adopting from AWL, your new fur-baby is already desexed, vaccinated, microchipped, flea treated, wormed and pawsitively ready to get settled in. Thank you for giving them the second chance they deserve.