Looking for something fun to do with your dog over the weekend, on a rainy day, or just for the joy of it? This extreme enrichment box is a doggy furavourite, and it's so easy to make.
Your dog's sure to have a blast tearing this apart. And they'll enjoy figuring out how to get all of their yummy treats.
Just make sure you set everything up in an area that you don't mind getting messy.
What you'll need
1 x empty medium or large box (dependant on your dog’s size)
1 x tbsp peanut spread
4 x small straps of your dog’s favourite jerky-type treat
2-3 x of your dog’s favourite toys (rope toys work pawfectly)
1 x portion of your dog’s favourite meat (cut into small pieces)
1 x box-cutter knife
How to make it
- Remove all tape, staples and other materials from the box that could harm to your dog
- Seal the box at one end by interweaving the flaps of the box.
- Safely use the box cutter knife to cut two holes into the box the same diameter as your dog’s favourite toys. Place these holes on the side of the box as far apart from each other as possible.
- Push one end of your dog’s toy into one hole (this should be a tight fit), so that one end is within the box and the other is hanging outside of the box. Repeat this with the second toy.
- Cut smaller slices into the box at various intervals and place the jerky straps into these holes (once again the holes should be the same diameter as the jerky so that it’s a tight fit).
- Rub half of the peanut spread in different places on the outside of the box.
- Rub the remainder of the peanut spread in different places on the inside of the box.
- Seal the top of the box using the same method as the bottom flaps, except, place the last chew toy between the interweaved flaps, effectively sealing it in place.
- Place the box in an area that you don’t mind getting messy and watch your dog enjoy the puzzle.